Hello. I am Apostolos Kritikos. A Critical Engineer — specialized in Open Source Software — and Researcher “made in Greece”. I love coffee, listening to music / podcasts, reading books / comics and doing the lindy hop (swing dancing).
Open Source Software.
The first time I heard about Open Source Software (OSS) was in 2001. But I really started getting a grasp of its true potential and actively working with it in 2005, during the 3rd year of my bachelor studies in the School of Informatics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Nowadays OSS is considered mainstream globally and I couldn’t be more happy. It is the running force of my company, Social Mind, has fueled my academic research and makes my digital life easier every day.
I started working as a software / web developer circa 2006. Back then developers were considered swiss knives so during the early years of my career I worked on IT support, networks, software / web development and research oriented ICT projects. It was amazing and I learnt tons of stuff about the profession.
In 2011 I founded a two-person software house with the aim of getting bigger contracts. In 2014 our little software house evolved to Social Mind, a web applications and digital marketing agency that is growing ever since. Our services include but are not limited to: digital transformation consulting for companies, e-commerce solutions, content marketing, digital marketing and advertising. If you ever need our services, please contact us and we will be happy to help in anyway we can.
After getting my Bachelor’s degree in Informatics, I completed a Master’s degree in Informational Systems. Today I am doing research on a PhD level with the School of Informatics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in the fields of Open Source Software Engineering and Software Resilience.
Academic Research has been professionally enhancing me with extremely useful skills for nearly a decade now. Analytical thinking, out of the box design, agile methodologies, fact checking mechanisms, test first design approaches are a select few.
Support & Voluntary Work.
I am trying to support the following tech, business and / or innovation oriented networks, organizations or charities, either financially or with voluntary work: Open Coffee Club Greece, WordPress.org, Archive.org, MyData.org, World Wide Web Foundation, Mozilla Open Leaders, EUvsVirus.
I am also a proud signatory / supporter of:
- Public Money, Public Code – Open Letter (2017) [English / Ελληνικά].
- MyData Declaration (2015) [English / Ελληνικά].
- The Critical Engineering Manifesto (2011) [English / Ελληνικά].
- The Contract For The Web (2008) [English].
- The Manifesto for Agile Software Development (2001) [English / Ελληνικά].
Speaking & Press.
I was honored to have been invited to talk and to have received some publicity over the years. Here are some selected items.
You can find the whole list featuring both Greek and International speaking engagements here!
- Mozilla Open Leaders: Crowdsourcing WordPress experiences for “healthier” WordPress installations — 2018-05-09
- MozillaPulse.org: WordPress Plug-In Observatory (a.k.a. HealthyWP) — 2018-03-20
- WordPress.tv: Apostolos Kritikos: Challenges in Integrating ERP Systems With WooCommerce E-shops — 2018-02-03
- re:Publica.com: Open data in smart cities – Enabling citizen’s participation — 2017-12-09
- re:Publica.com: Deciphering re:publica! From data 2 knowledge — 2017-12-09
You can find the whole list featuring both Greek and International press here!